Friday, May 23, 2008

Three Years Ago Today





Three years ago today, I got a phone call from Vonda at Children's Hope. I had been referred a little girl named Guo Yun Qian who lived in Zhuzhou Children's Social Welfare Institute in the Hunan Province of China. She was just a baby, not even two yet, so I freaked out just a little. I was afraid of babies. I still am. Now I will always remember that day with joy. Margot has brought so much love and joy into my life and into the lives of many others, too.
The past three years have been full of wonder and excitement. Being a mom is the ultimate joy for me. Lief is different with a child. Simple things like blooming flowers and birds are exciting because of the awe I see on her face. Watching her learn and blossom, wondering what she'll grow up to be, helping her to discover all that this world has to offer. It is like getting to learn it all again.
She loves it when I sing. Because I don't sing very well, I am glad that someone likes to hear me sing. She asked me the other night to sing "You are my Sunshine" and I did. At the end, she put her arms around me and said, you don't have to worry about anyone taking me away. I am yours forever and ever. Wow.
I am so grateful that I was given an opportunity that I might not otherwise have had if not for Children's Hope and the CCAA. I hope that other single people are given this chance. I hate that so many people have worked to keep singles from adopting. There are too many kids who need moms to leave out those who just happen to not have gotten married.
Congratulations to all of the Hot Hunan Honeys!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow- amazing to look back at the pictures - beautiful baby, beautiful girl!
We'd love to get together this summer - I still have your Disney book (by the way) that I need to get back to you.

Jennifer